Firms fined after Bristol man electrocuted

Published:  07 March, 2013

A Bristol property development firm has been prosecuted after a plumber was electrocuted while installing a washing machine.

Danny Edwards, 23, from Fishponds, Bristol, was killed while working on the appliance in March 2008.

During the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecution of Edwards' employers Birakos Enterprises Limited, Bristol Magistrates' Court heard the socket that powered the washing machine was wired incorrectly.

It is thought that when Edwards was working on the machine, he touched a copper water pipe and the back of the machine simultaneously, causing the massive electric shock.

Despite the kitchen's electrics being signed off as safe by the electrical division of Birakos Enterprises Limited, it was discovered the live and earth wires had been put into the socket incorrectly, meaning the washing machine became electrically live when plugged in.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Steven Frain said: "Danny Edwards should have been protected by his employers. Instead he was allowed to work on a machine in which a socket was obviously wired incorrectly.

"The fault should have been found during testing but this fault was left unresolved and ultimately led to the death of this young father."

Birakos Enterprises of Clifton Wood Road, Bristol was found guilty of breaching Regulation 4 (1) and 16 of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined a total of £125,000 and ordered to pay costs of £50,000.