Illegal boiler installation put residents at risk of CO poisoning

Published:  07 February, 2014

A gas fitter has been fined for illegally installing a gas boiler at a Newquay home, which left the occupants at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Guy Radford, trading as Radford Plumbing, carried out the work in Fairfield Place between May and June 2013, despite not being registered to do so, heard Truro Magistrates on 7 February.

A Gas Safe registered engineer inspected the installation after the householder raised concerns and found the flue had not been properly sealed, creating a risk of CO re-entering the property, causing potential danger to life.

Guy Radford, of Wood View, North Hill, Launceston, pleaded guilty to breaches of Regulation 3(3) and Regulation 26(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was given a two-year conditional discharge and ordered to pay £353 in costs.

HSE inspector Simon Jones said: “Mr Radford was not trained to carry out the work he was asked to do and his poor standard of work put the life of his customer at risk.”