Gas pipe implicated in Salford explosion

Published:  04 November, 2010

An explosion that took place in Greater Manchester days ago may have been related to a gas pipe being connected and disconnected three times in as many days.

Firefighters were called to Silver Street in Salford on Tuesday morning following the blast.

The gas pipe fed the cooker to 82-year-old victim Marie Burns’ home, which was at the centre of the explosion.

It has been reported that improvement works were being carried out in the area at the time by the City West Housing Trust, which owns and manages ex-local authority properties.

Contractors had spent three days fitting a new kitchen in Marie Burns’ home when the blast happened.

City West chief executive, Tim Doyle, said: "It would be extremely unlikely that what has happened is not connected with the work carried out," according to the BBC.

Doyle apologised for distress caused by the accident, adding that the organisation would "take full responsibility" if it was found at fault.

An investigation by the Health & Safety Executive and the fire service continues.

Sign Up

Sign up to our weekly eNewsletter to receive all the latest news direct to your inbox