Solar panels catch fire in council building blaze

Published:  20 April, 2015

Council workers had to be evacuated from Hove Town Hall today after a blaze involving solar panels started on the rooftop of the building.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue was called to the building at lunchtime on the 20 April, along with members of Sussex Police, after smoke was spotted coming from the rooftop, according to local newspaper The Argus.

The fire was soon brought under control and council staff are now being allowed back into the building.

In a statement, East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service said: “Firefighters from Hove and Preston Circus were called at 12.50 today, to reports of smoke and flames coming from the roof of Hove Town Hall in Norton Road.

“They are using an aerial ladder platform and foam to put-out a fire in solar panels on the roof. There are no reports of casualties.”

A spokesman for Brighton and Hove City Council has since explained that the source of the fire is believed to be an electrical fault with one of the panels. An investigation is underway and all solar panels on all council buildings will be checked following the incident.

Sign Up

Sign up to our weekly eNewsletter to receive all the latest news direct to your inbox