Carbon monoxide death

Published:  12 January, 2011

The family of a 22-year-old gas engineer is mourning his death, suspected to have been caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.

The family of a 22-year-old gas engineer is mourning his death, suspected to have been caused by carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning from a property he was working in.

Matthew Nixon, from Talke, Stoke-on-Trent, had been installing a central heating system at a flat in Macclesfield before he died on 13 December, 2010.

The Health & Safety Executive is investigating the accident, but a post-mortem examination suggested a possibility that the cause of Mr Nixon's death was due to CO poisoning.

Reverand Robin Isherwood led the funeral service and said of Mr Nixon: "Matthew brought unspeakable happiness into the lives of those who knew him and brings us unspeakable sadness in death."

Mr Nixon also played cricket and football for his local clubs. Head of the cricket club, Steve Armitage said: "He was a captain's dream and always played with a smile."

Among mourners were BGC staff, where Mr Nixon had worked for six years.