Housing firm fined for capping off active chimney used as flue for gas appliances

Published:  17 August, 2015

A housing firm has been sentenced after capping off a chimney at one of its occupied properties despite the chimney being in use.

North Devon Homes employees investigating damp at a property at Church Lake, Landkey, attempted to solve the problem by removing a chimney and tiling over the roof, leaving the chimney terminating within the home’s loft despite that fact the chimney was being used to flue the gas fire and gas boiler.

Several weeks after the work was completed the tenant went into the loft and found that there was a strong, unpleasant smell. At around this time the tenant’s carbon monoxide alarm was also sounding.

The tenant called emergency gas services who visited their home and classed the situation as immediately dangerous, meaning the situation posed an immediate risk to life.

The incident was investigated by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE), which prosecuted North Devon Homes at Barnstaple Magistrates’ Court on 13 August, 2015.

North Devon Homes Ltd, of Westacott Road, Barnstaple, pleaded guilty to a breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined a total of £6,000 and ordered to pay £833 in costs.

HSE inspector Simon Jones said: “This was an incredibly dangerous situation where gas appliances were left to pump potentially poisonous and fatal gasses into the loft space of a home instead of to outside the property.

“Whenever a chimney is removed or capped careful checks should be taken to ensure that the chimney is not being used and cannot be used in the future.

“Proper control by North Devon Homes and clear work instructions would have prevented this dangerous situation from arising and putting the lives of their tenants at risk.”