Landlord given community service for failing to carry out gas safety checks

Published:  06 January, 2016

A private landlord who failed to provide gas safety certificates for two rented properties was prosecuted on 5 January. 

Following a complaint from a tenant, an Improvement Notice was issued to landlord Dean Taylor by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) for non-provision of a gas safety certificate for the gas appliances in his property, Harrogate Magistrates’ Court heard.

Mr Taylor did not comply with that notice and during the investigation another of his properties was found to also not have a gas safety certificate. 

Mr Taylor, of Harrogate, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 33 (1) (g) of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, also Section 36(3) and Section 36(6) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations. He was given 240 hours of community service and instructed to pay full HSE costs of £2767.

HSE inspector Julian Franklin said: “If you rent property out, you must comply with requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, including the need to have a gas safety certificate. Gas appliances should be regularly checked, as faulty appliances can kill.”