Landlord fined for failing to carry out gas safety checks

Published:  15 March, 2016

A London-based landlord was given an eight week suspended sentence after failing to carry out gas safety checks.

Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard how Duran Akbulut failed to provide a gas safety certificate for one of his rented properties.

The tenant raised concerns about a carbon monoxide leak from their gas boiler and the National Grid switched off the gas supply. The tenant further made a complaint to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Mr Akbulut of Kenton, London, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 36(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was given an eight week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, was ordered to pay £80 victim surcharge and contribute £300 in costs to HSE.

HSE inspector, Neil Fry said: “It is the duty of landlords to ensure gas safety checks are carried out to protect tenants from the fatal risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Sign Up

Sign up to our weekly eNewsletter to receive all the latest news direct to your inbox