Gas engineer fined for unsafe installation

Published:  24 August, 2016

A Gas Safe registered engineer from Middlesex has been fined for safety failings after he carried out an unsafe installation.

Chelmsford Magistrates Court heard how Michael Efthymiou, a self- employed gas engineer, carried out an unsafe installation of a gas combination boiler and flue at a domestic property in Crossfield Road, Clacton-on-Sea.

An investigation by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident found that on 7 February 2015 Mr Efthymiou left the boiler in place with significant failings that left the tenants at risk of exposure to dangerous products of combustion.

Mr Efthymiou, of Enfield, Middlesex was found guilty of breaching Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, and Regulation 27(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, was fined £2,460.00 and ordered to pay £6722.37 costs.

For further information on Gas Safety visit: http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/.

Sign Up

Sign up to our weekly eNewsletter to receive all the latest news direct to your inbox