North West building firm fined after family poisoned by CO

Published:  13 September, 2017

A North West building firm and its Director have been fined after a family of four were hospitalised due to exposure to carbon monoxide (CO) at their home.

Manchester (Minshull Street) Crown Court heard that SJW Joinery & Building and Director Simon Wiley had been contracted by the homeowners to carry out building work at the house in Stalybridge.

A single storey extension had been erected around parts of the property. The roof of that extension had been built over the existing flue to the boiler, leading to it venting into an enclosed space. The products of combustion of the boiler, including the toxic and odourless gas carbon monoxide, built up in the extension and entered the house. Four people were taken to hospital with CO poisoning. All four made a full recovery.

An investigation was launched by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after National Grid notified it of the incident. The investigation found that building plans relating to the work showed that risks of CO exposure had not been considered during the planning stage. The building work was subsequently carried out without the builders having considered these risks to the residents.

SJW Joinery & Building Ltd pleaded guilty to a breach of Regulation 8(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, has been fined £6,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,298.

Director Simon Wiley pleaded guilty to a breach of Regulation 8 (1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and also Section 37 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He has been sentenced to 200 hours community service and ordered to pay £4,298 costs.

HSE Inspector Ian Betley said: “This incident could so easily have been avoided by simply ensuring that a suitable assessment was carried out and appropriate control measures put in place. Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”

Sign Up

Sign up to our weekly eNewsletter to receive all the latest news direct to your inbox