Cornwall landlord fined after gas safety concerns

Published:  13 September, 2017

A landlord from Cornwall has been fined after failing to maintain gas appliances at his rental properties on St Thomas Road, Launceston.

Truro Crown Court heard how gas appliances in the two properties went unmaintained, and were not inspected by a Gas Safe-registered engineer.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the landlord, David Bush, failed to obtain Landlord Gas Safety Records after May 2014. It was also found that the appliances had not been serviced for at least four years.

David Bush of Exeter Street, Launceston, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 36 (2)(a) and 36 (3)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and Regulation 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. He has been given a 12-month prison sentence suspended for 24 months, fined £5,000, and ordered to pay costs of £5,524.

HSE Inspector Simon Jones said: “Mr Bush put the residents and other members of the public at risk of harm by failing to maintain gas appliances in the domestic property. Landlords must ensure they obtain a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record and maintain all gas appliances in accordance with the law.”