Boiler flue removed during a re-roofing contract put tenant’s life at risk

Published:  01 December, 2015

Gary Redman, 55, was in control of roofing works above a flat on Marldon Road, Paignton in March 2014, during which the flue to the gas boiler of the flat below was removed.

This created the risk of dangerous gases building-up inside the property, which was occupied by a tenant, Plymouth Magistrates’ court heard on 26 November.

When the tenant in the property tried to use the boiler, they found it did not work and upon investigating realised the flue had been removed completely where it passed through the roof. The flue was later replaced in the hole in the flat roof but not re-connected to the boiler.

The work was checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer who classed the flue as ’immediately dangerous’ and contacted HSE.

Gary Redman, of Paignton, had pleaded not guilty at a previous hearing but was found guilty of breaching Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, after a trial and was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay £2,500 prosecution costs.

“Gary Redman’s negligence could have cost lives. A boiler not connected to a flue which could send waste gas into a building is a clear and well known risk,” said HSE inspector Simon Jones.

“Anyone undertaking building work around a flue must ensure their building work does not affect the flue or gas appliance in any way.”

Image courtesy of Shutterstock/Benoit Daoust